Poetry is what happens when nothing else can




It is a well known fact that I live and breathe poetry and as it’s National Poetry Day, I thought I’d share some of my favourite poems:

The Invitation – Oriah Mountain Dreamer

"...It doesn’t interest me
who you know
or how you came to be here.
I want to know if you will stand
in the centre of the fire
with me and not
shrink back..."

Phenomenal Women – Maya Angelou

"...I’m a woman 
Phenomenally. 
Phenomenal woman,
That’s me..."

Leisure – William Henry Davies

"...A poor life this if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare."

This Be The Verse – Philip Larkin

"...Man hands on misery to man.
It deepens like a coastal shelf.
Get out as early as you can,
And don’t have any kids yourself."

The Garden of Love – William Blake

"...So I turn'd to the Garden of Love,
That so many sweet flowers bore.
And I saw it was filled with graves,
And tomb-stones where flowers should be:..."

Wild Geese – Mary Oliver

"You do not have to be good.
You do not have to walk on your knees
For a hundred miles through the desert, repenting.
You only have to let the soft animal of your body
love what it loves..."

The Red Wheelbarrow – William Carlos Williams

"so much depends
upon
a red wheelbarrow
glazed with rainwater
beside the white
chickens."

Ebb – Edna St. Vincent Millay

"I know what my heart is like 
Since your love died:
It is like a hollow ledge 
Holding a little pool 
Left there by the tide,
A little tepid pool,
Drying inward from the edge."

I could probably go on and on listing poem after poem. Poetry has a way of communicating with me that makes me feel less alone. And, as aforementioned, I live and breathe poetry so if anyone has any recommendations of their favourite poets/poetry please do not hesitate to let me know.

- peace and love, Emily x


Post a Comment

0 Comments