April Book Reviews



Happy 1st of May! I read 6 books this month and somehow, I unintentionally seemed to read quite a few books with consecutive themes of mental health. My Goodreads account must feel sorry for me as I keep getting self-help book recommendations. To add me as a friend on Goodreads, click here. Enjoy the reviews!

It’s Kind of a Funny Story – Ned Vizzini
If I were a 15-year-old unsettled boy attempting to find my feet in the big wide world then this would be the perfect novel for me. In fact, I’ve been reading a lot of YA books thinking if only I had read this when I was 15! The principle of the story was ideal for the topic of teen mental illness. I couldn’t help but think the portrayal of the patients in the psychiatric ward were a little stereotypical but then I read that the author, Ned Vizzni actually spent 5 days in a psychiatric ward himself so I forgave him.

The Vagina Monologues – Eve Elsner
I saw the production of The Vagina Monologues at the theatre in my university and it moved me so significantly. The book goes through the evolution of the show and how it came to be so much more than just a play. It was witty, sarcastic and beautifully touching. I would actually like to see this re-written from an intersectional feminist point of view as the book assumed antiquated white feminist perspectives.

Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe – Benjamin Alire Saenz
This was probably one of my favourites from this month. Aristotle is nothing like the other boys his age and he cannot seem to figure out why. I never thought I would love delving into the lives of two teenage boys as much as I did whilst reading this. Are the characters falling in love or are you falling in love with them? You’ll have to read it to find out.

The Unbearable Lightness of Being – Milan Kundera
This book explores sex, politics and the philosophy of life. I thought I was through with existentialism when I quit university, then I read this book. I’m still not sure if this book has aided my existential crisis or hindered it.

The Lover’s Dictionary – David Levithan
Everything you’ve ever felt in a relationship: this book has got it covered. This is every romantic, word lover’s bible. This is a must read, not just for romantics but for cynics too. This book is universal.

Am I Normal Yet?: The Normal Series – Holly Bourne
I so desperately wish I had this book when I was 15 so I could read it over and over! Instead, I was listening to Taylor Swift’s Love Story on repeat patiently waiting for my prince to gallop over on his horse and whisk me away. Side note: I’m still waiting. This book exposes teenage boys and unites teenage girls. Seriously, the girl solidarity in this book is strong. As soon as I finished this I started to read the second book in the series: review coming next month.


Thank you for reading! Recommendations welcome!

Post a Comment

0 Comments